Members of Team SJS just minutes before the start of the 2010 Fox Cities Half Marathon!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Yet another training run and an anniversary I'd love to someday forget!

So it was the day after my big triathlon and I was scheduled to run 6 miles. I can honestly say that rolling over in bed and pulling the covers over my head was what I really wanted to do!! But somehow, I was able to pull my sore and achy body out of my bed and make my way to the kitchen where I start each and every day by putting my "eyes" in.

It's really not a difficult process, but it is tedious and some days it just gets old. I have to remove my right lens from the cleaner, rinse it, put it on the plunger, fill it with Celluvisc, top it with preservative free saline that has to be refrigerated and then stick it to my eye. Ok, one down. Then I have to take my prosthetic out of the case, put it on the plunger, stick it to my eye and then cover the outside with vaseline so I am able to blink. If the vaseline is too thick, I have to put artificial tears in right away and then I seem to be ok. And then of course, I have to reverse the process at night and include all of the cleaning that goes with it. And I must remember to sober up some if I've been drinking so I can do this without hurting myself or breaking anything!

I knew that although I was sore froom the day before, that I was lucky enough to have a friend who wanted to run with me. Kelli had been a sprinter back in the day and told me she had never run that far before. She could run fast, that I knew, but I thought for sure that if I could do this, she sure as heck could too! It wasn't long before she knocked on the door and we were on our way!

I don't recall paying much attention to the actual running itself. Just ask Kelli; my mouth was running a mile a minute!! Wouldn't shut up!! Couldn't, actually. I was so excited that she was willing to take on this crazy dream to run the half marathon that I was bubbling over with gratitude. We talked about everything from hair (we're both stylists), to running issues, to our men's motorcycles, to SJS, to training schedules. It wasn't long before we were on the home stretch and i couldn't believe how the time had flown by. It was absolutely amazing!! I think I experienced a true runner's high! kelli knocked those 6 miles out of the park and I was truly proud of her accomplishment. It isn't easy by any means and not everyone can do it! But we did! And we did it well!

Today, June 29th, is the 2 year anniversary of the onset of my Stevens Johnson Syndrome. I started the day out with a 3 mile run and what a beautiful day it is today. Sunny, not too warm. The weather guy called it "fall-like" and I think I might have to agree with him on that. I am notably far less stressed and anxious this year than I was last. I think I'm ready to just keep moving forward and not look back. The running has brought so much comfort and relief to me over the past 6 months. I am so grateful that I have that. That I am able to do it, even if it is slower than what I would really like it to be.

I may not always be this stable. I may have future problems with my eyes that only time will tell me, but for now I am comfortable. I am happy with my life and where I see parts of it going. The important parts, anyway.

So here's to my fellow SJS peeps on this beautiful summer day. A toast to your determination, and your fighting spirits - to your devotion to spare others from our nightmare!
May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment