Members of Team SJS just minutes before the start of the 2010 Fox Cities Half Marathon!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Taking the Plunge!


Ok, so here's the deal! Saturday is the Mighty Wolf Triathlon in Winneconne, WI. It's a super sprint and I've done it one other time - back in 2006. It was the last triathlon I participated in and I have decided to give it another try! Since I conquered my fear of getting on my bike and I know I can ride 15 miles, why not?

Like I said, it's a super sprint - 400 yd swim, 15 mile bike, and 3 mile run. So it isn't anything that is standing out in my mind as completely overwhelming! Besides, triathlons are my first love! Running is great, but splitting it up with two other events just adds so much more excitement for me. I can't wait!!

However, having said all of that, I am a little concerned. With my left eye covered by a $5,000 shell and my right eye with a $600 lens, I hope my goggles hold up!! Can't imagine losing either of them in the bottom of a damn pond! And then, my toe is still not right. It isn't healing, although the discoloration is gone. Every time I step down wearing my running shoes, a shot of pain radiates through the bottom of my right foot. Ugh!! I swear, it's always something!

Although I am a little more anxious than I would have been had I not gotten sick and had to deal with these little annoyances, I still feel confident that I can do this! My heart flutters uncontrollably every time I take back a piece of my old life!

I always thought that people who claimed they were not "disabled", but "differently abled" were just stuck on symantics. That there were better things to do in this world than nit-pick at words, labels, definitions, etc. However, I can now say that I get it! I GET IT!!! It makes sense to me! Because I am going to do this triathlon, just like the other athletes who will be standing on the beach with me in their swim/tri suits, caps, bib numbers and spitting in their goggles to prevent them from steaming up, and I am going to finish. I will just be doing it "differently!" I will be swimming with one usable eye. I will be biking with a mirror on my left side to see those who will most likely be passing me by, I will be stopping along the way to add artificial tears to my eyes so that I can blink, and I will be running with a broken toe! A toe that breaks often due to atrophy and nerve damage and constant pain. But I will swim it, I will bike it, I will run it, and I will finish it just like everyone else; with one foot in front of the other!

No comments:

Post a Comment