Members of Team SJS just minutes before the start of the 2010 Fox Cities Half Marathon!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yep, still running!!

An amazing things has happened because of this blog!!  In the past week, I have met 2 other SJS Survivors!!  One, of which, was just recently released from the same Burn Unit I was on in Milwaukee!!  We share the same doctor and favorite nurses!  Some people may say that it is not that amazing, but when it is perceived that you'll never meet another Survivor in your lifetime because it is "so rare" the fact that you live only hours apart makes it a little bit incredible!  He is doing well, by the way, other than the emotional part that goes along  with a trauma such as this.  The fear, the anger and disbelief we have all felt!!  And, rightfully so, if you ask  me! 

And then, to top it off, I did a little searching and found yet another Survivor who has her own blog!  What is truly incredible is that she is doing an Iron Man at the end of this month!  That's right, an Iron Man! 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run!!!  Unbelievable!!!!  Can't wait to actually talk with her and cheer for her all of the way from Wisconsin!  She's a few states away, but I can be  pretty loud!!!

I will let that carry me through Saturday's 10k.  Knowing that there are yet another two people who have fought the same illness and won will be on my mind for those 6.2 miles.  It'll be the longest race I have done since last November, and I hope the weather is as perfect as they say it is going to be.  No rain in the forecast and cooler temperatures than normal.  Yesterday, it was in the 90's and today we have a high of 66 degrees!!  My times have continued to drop and I am so much stronger than last year.  I am eating much differently and seeing some positive results in how I feel after long runs.  I haven't had one day that  has ended with hours on the couch or in the bathroom!  Now, that's a positive!!

I'll let you know how race day went!  And will keep you posted on the rest of training season.  I have taken all of my scheduled triathlons off of the calendar this year.  I am focusing on the run and I think that is a good decision for me at this point in time.  I'm seeing progress, so I'm going to keep working at it.  I am doing the Dirty Girl 5k in August, however!  My only fear is getting over that dang wall!!  I hope my teammates are ready to make a human pyramid so I can reach the top! That may need to happen!!

Happy running everyone!  See you at the finish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment