Members of Team SJS just minutes before the start of the 2010 Fox Cities Half Marathon!

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Just Breathe!

I am coming to the realization that this year's half marathon has become way more than running 13.1 miles!  So much has happened over the past few months and it has become a whirlwind of a life I lead!!  We have gone from 4 Survivors and their loyal supporters and fans to 9 Survivors coming from two different countries!!  We're getting corporate sponsors, doing fundraisers, like selling SJS bracelets and Stevie B's pizza buffet cards, I'm doing speeches and planning a pre-race dinner.  It has been amazing thus far!

But I have to say that the simplicity of training for the half last year is something that I continually long for as the weeks get closer to race day.  When I think back to last year, it was all about the excitement of running farther the following week than I did the previous week.  It was about going to a  place I had never gone before and the pride that came with that was staggering!  The only thing I could control was whether or not I put my shoes on and whether or not I pushed through when I felt like quitting.  I used my training runs to clear my mind and enjoy the solace of the moment.  I had a much easier time remembering where I had been a year before and honestly, amazed myself at times.  How far I had truly come!!

As exciting as this big adventure is this year and  how wonderful that we are doing great things in the name of awareness, love and support, I have set a new goal for myself this year.  My goal is to find a balance between last year and the ultimate goal of raising money for the Foundation and raising awareness of SJS.  I don't want to lose myself in the process of all of this.  I need to remember my favorite quote of all time!  "I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become." - Carl Jung 

So here's to another day of not getting lost, of taking the time for me to get my training in and to clearing my head!!!  Here's to being a vehicle to allow the healing process for Survivors and family members!!  Because ultimately that is the most important part of all of this.  Raising awareness is great and definitely necessary, but moving forward is inevitable and doing it with grace and dignity is the best thing we can do for ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I just was released from the hospital Tuesday. I came down with SJS/TENS the week of May8th, was rushed to Milwaukee in ambulance Friday the 13th (go figure?) I was searching the web and came across "Tracy Hogan". ON her page she had mentioned a marathon this September in Appleton. Could you please provide me with more info on this? I am still recovering, waiting for the dead skin to fall off my feet. Cant wait....

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi berdyck3!! First of all, so glad to hear you are out of the hospital! There are so many things I would love to ask you!! Where are you from? Which hospital were you at? How are you feeling? What was it that made you sick? Blah, blah, blah!!! Are yo on Facebook? If so, there is an SJS Group that we would love to have you a part of.

    Team SJS is doing the Fox Cities Half Marathon on Sunday, September 18th. We have an entire weekend of events planned and at least 11 Survivors will be there. Would LOVE to make it 12 and have you there too!! Tracy Hogan will be here with her son!!

    Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you! Or if you are somewhere near the Appleton area, I would LOVE to meet you!!!!

    Take care,
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have an email or are you on FB? I would be more comfortable telling you my story privately right now. Send me an email, at my googleblogname @ yahoo.com (don't want any bots to scan my email address)

    ReplyDelete