Members of Team SJS just minutes before the start of the 2010 Fox Cities Half Marathon!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolution and a new year of goals!

So this is the week that triathlon training begins for me.  I have my professional plan all mapped out for the next 12 weeks and then another plan for the last 12! If perfectly executed, it will take me right up to race day on June 18th.  My training journal is all put together and I'm set with new running shoes, insoles, swimming suit and goggles!  It will be months before I can take my training outside, but for now I'll do the work I need to do in the gym.

It's amazing to me how anxious I'm feeling already!  It isn't like this is the only triathlon I've ever trained for or done!  Of course, it's the longest and definitely will be the hardest, but hell I've got nearly 6 months to get ready for this day!  Maybe it's just the loneliest event I will ever have trained for.  It's not easy doing something like this when people think you're crazy and have very  little understanding of why it is I would choose to do something of this caliber.  My mom even made comment tonight that she "doesn't want to see me start this again."  Kind of made me chuckle when she said that!  She knows it means the world to me, but watching someone  you love work so hard and push themselves to the brink can get a little tiring after awhile.  I get it, Mom!  Sorry!!  But I hope you'll be there that day!

I've got some other events on the calendar this year other than the triathlon.  I plan to nail that half marathon once again along with the rest of Team SJS.  We're trying to get as many Survivors as possible here for that weekend so we can all meet in person and share in the healing of each other.  My big brother, my husband and I are thinking of running the Dam to Dam 20k in Des Moines, IA in May and of course, I have my standard 5 and 10k's.  I run the American Cancer Society Soleburner 5k in memory of my best friend, Heather, as often as I can.  This year, my 10 year old is running it with me!  What an amazing day that will be!

I hope everyone has a wonderful new year and that you choose to set goals for yourself in whatever area of your life you find the most important.  Surround yourself with positive people and truly know that you are worth it, no matter what "it" is!  Let's dream big this year and do things we never believed we could!  I just bet that if we hang in there, get serious about it, put one foot in front of the other with a little focus and determination, we just might blow our own minds!

No comments:

Post a Comment