Members of Team SJS just minutes before the start of the 2010 Fox Cities Half Marathon!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Starting Over Again!

It's been a long time since I dared show my face on here!  First things first, I had to make a big decision regarding the half iron man!  And that decision was that I am not yet ready for a task as big as that one!!!  I hate to admit that, but it's true.  My body, mental status and life are not at a place that I can commit to something as intense as that!  Don't get me wrong, I loved training for it!  I enjoyed the first three weeks until the chlorine in the pool started wreaking havoc on my skin, and that was just the first sign that I am not ready.  I give so much more credit to those who are able to tackle such a feat!  I had no idea what really, truly went in to training for that, but I understand now and am all the more amazed!  So, I will be putting that off for a year or two.  When I'm ready, I'll know and enjoy it all that much more!!

So now, I am refocusing my energies on getting physically ready for the summer running season.  This winter was tough, and apparently the winter is not yet over!  The first 5k race of my season was this morning and we battled rain, sleet, snow, puddles the size of lakes, wind, thunder and lightning!  Yup, thunder and lightning!  Temperatures were near 38 degrees, but by the time we were done, I was sure my toes were rolling around on the inside of my water logged shoes!!  I can honestly say, it wasn't pretty!!!

So now, it's time again to pull back and just put in the miles.  Yesterday, I ran 3 miles and realized how much work I yet have to do before September.  It was a great run and I really enjoyed the process.  Controlling my breathing, paying attention to my form (which is all wrong, but at least I'm upright), and the enjoyment of knowing I only had to be responsible for myself for that 3 miles.  No kids, spouse, dog, dishes, laundry, cooking.  And that is what I enjoy the most about running anyway!  It's quiet!!

So here's to another fantastic season of outdoor running!!  Am just so hopeful that spring gets here soon!!  Happy running everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment